Saturday, May 10, 2008

30 April - Stockholm, Sweden

My journey:
Stockholm - Helsinki - Moscow - St Petersburg - Riga - Stockholm


I'm just gonna start blogging about the most recent trip I took - RUSSIA! :D

Never in my life did I think I would be able to see Russia...the 'closest' I've every gotten to it was through my godbro's cousin - celyn, who studies there. I remember when she first told me she was going to Russia to study...my first thought was the harsh winter cold, trans-siberian railway and Anastasia. And of course, my secondary school history lessons. Although Russia was the highlight, the other cities we (literally) sailed through were pretty sights too.

This was a kinda-school trip arranged by an external organization, open to students from all Scandinavian schools. So naturally, us exchange students (with our priorities all mixed up :p) took the opportunity to travel!! It was over 30 students in our group in all.


King and Queen of Sweden


Shopping street in Stockholm

Sweden - land of the moose
(having the highest density of moose in the world!)


Bridge leading to the Old Town; Gamla Stan

We stumbled upon a group of soldiers preparing their way up to the castle. We merely followed the crowd to see what was going on...

A whole of lot of people!! But we were still left wondering what was going on...
Until much later we realised that we were expecting the king! :D
Soldiers all lined up outside the entrance in anticipation.

The military band that was performing was fantastic! They sang too...and really well :) 

For more of their talent...ABBA Medley!
A little girl waving her Swedish flag
Different colour/unit
King Carl XVI Gustav!



After all that excitement, we met up with the rest of the Singaporeans and Taiwanese to walk around Gamla Stan before boarding the cruise ship to Helsinki.

The narrow, pretty streets of Sweden's Old Town.
The guys busy finding their way around while Carol and I were slacking and clowning around.
Ahh...alfresco dining in the warm weather :)

Inside Storkrykan, the Cathedral of Stockholm, 
where all the royal coronations and weddings took place.
Also where we saw St George and the Dragon statue (it didn't quite turn out well in my picture), a statue known its age and symbol. It's made out of oak and elk horn in the 15th century, and many believe that it represents Sweden's need to struggle against evil. 

View of Stockholm
Public buses with Swedish flags attached to the front.
Our stay for the night! - Gabriella

No comments: